Although heavy duty trucks aren't exactly nimble trail machines, GMC has upped its off-road game with a new All Terrain X package for its Sierra HD pickups.
It's the latest in a growing lineup of All Terrain X models, a trim level that the automaker has already announced for 2017 versions of its Canyon and Sierra 1500 trucks. For the heavy duty version, the packages adds the following off-road and functional goodies:
- 18-inch black-painted aluminum wheels wrapped in big LT275/65-18 Goodyear Duratrac MT tires
- A black sport bar mounted in the bed that's designed to be compatible with LED off-road driving lamps offered through the automaker's accessories catalog
- A special body-color grille with its own unique insert
- Color-coordinated door handles and trim moldings
- A front bumper skidplate
- Black side steps
- Standard power-folding trailering mirrors
- LED rear guidance lamps and amber clearance lamps
- An automatic locking rear differential
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 HD All Terrain X
The 2017 GMC Sierra HD All Terrain X will be available in just two colors: Black Onyx and Summit White. GMC says the truck will be offered with a choice of 6.0-liter gasoline V-8 and 6.6-liter turbodiesel V-8 engines mated exclusively to four-wheel drive. The only body style that GMC plans to build with the package is the 2500HD crew cab, and GMC has indicated that the model will be considered a limited edition.
The vehicle goes on sale in the fall. Pricing is yet to be announced.