Mitsubishi has issued two recalls for various models of the Mitsubishi Lancer and Outlander. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 130,000 vehicles from the 2009, 2010, and 2011 model-years are affected.
MITSUBISHI RECALL#1: 2009-2011 Lancer, 2009-2010 Lancer Evolution, 2009-2010 Lancer Sportback, 2009-2011 Outlander, 2011 Outlander Sport
UNITS AFFECTED: 76,958
The largest of Mitsubishi's two recalls stems from a problem with the blower motor, which circulates air through the climate control system. Unfortunately, the motor in some of the vehicles listed above may wear out prematurely.
That's particularly problematic when windows need defrosting. As NHTSA says in its defect report, "If a driver experiences reduced or complete loss of blower performance, and defrosting of the windshield is required, this may affect driver visibility and increase the risk of a crash".
The problem is limited to very specific production dates:
- 2009-2011 Lancer vehicles built between March 16, 2009 and March 30, 2011
- 2010-2011 Lancer Sportback vehicles built between June 17, 2009 and December 1, 2010
- 2010-2011 Lancer Evolution vehicles built between July 14, 2009 and January 7, 2011
- 2009-2011 Outlander vehicles built between February 10, 2009 and June 22, 2011
- 2011 Outlander Sport vehicles built between August 26, 2010 and November 19, 2010
NHTSA says that if this is a problem in your vehicle, you may hear an "unusual noise" coming from the blower motor. Before the motor fails, that noise may get louder and the blower may not work as well as it should.
Mitsubishi hasn't yet told NHTSA when it will mail recall notices to owners. When it does, owners will be able to take their vehicles to a local dealer, who will replace the blower motor at no charge.
If you have further questions, we encourage you to contact Mitsubishi customer service at 888-648-7820 and ask about recall #SR-15-003. If you prefer, you can call NHTSA directly at 888-327-4236 and ask about safety campaign #15V233000.
MITSUBISHI RECALL#2: 2009-2010 Lancer, 2010 Lancer Evolution, 2010 Lancer Sportback, 2009-2010 Outlander
UNITS AFFECTED: 53,396
The underlying problem in this recall is the electronic control unit that controls the head lights, tail lights, and wiper blades. NHTSA says that this device was improperly built by Lear Corporation. As a result, the device may short out, causing the lights and wipers to stop working.
NHTSA also says that if something goes wrong with the control unit, drivers may see an illuminated engine warning lamp and/or brake warning lamp on their dash. However, those may not come on until the lights and/or blades have already turned off.
As above, this recall is limited to specific production dates:
- 2009-2010 Lancer vehicles built between January 12, 2009 and July 6, 2010
- 2010 Lancer Evolution vehicles built between July 14, 2009 and August 4, 2010
- 2010 Lancer Sportback vehicles built between June 17, 2009 and June 8, 2010
- 2009-2010 Outlander vehicles built between January 12, 2009 and August 27, 2010
If you have further questions, you're asked to contact Mitsubishi customer service at 888-648-7820 and ask about recall #SR-15-003. If you prefer, you can call NHTSA at 888-327-4236 and ask about safety campaign #15V232000.