March madness is here--in the basketball sense, but also in the form of some staggering new-car rebates and incentives.
Our sister site CarsDirect has been studying the latest spiffs offered to new-car buyers, and finds that again in March, some new cars can come with give-backs and cash on the hood worth almost 30 percent of the manufacturer's suggested retail price.
The outstanding deals don't just extend to slow-selling models or discontinued vehicles. Virtually all of Fiat Chrysler's crossovers carry some sort of incentive, with the Patriot/Compass leading the list. Among green cars, the Nissan Leaf has the strongest offers--and if it's a truck you need, the massive Ford Super Duty has some massive deals this month as well.
These are the best incentives CarsDirect has found, broken down by vehicle type, with a southern California location assumed. For more details on the rebates, and how they vary across the country*, see CarsDirect's New Car Deals.
SUVs and crossovers
- You'll find the biggest deals on SUVs and crossovers, as a percentage of MSRP, on the 2015 Jeep Patriot. The maximum value of incentives, if you qualify for them all, can reach 22.6 percent off the sticker price. CarsDirect says Fiat Chrysler now offers the richest crossover and SUV discounts in the U.S., compared with other automakers.
- As a baseline, shoppers of the 2015 Mazda CX-9 get the biggest base rebate--a massive $4,000.
- Ford's incentives on the Focus continue to run rich. Some buyers can get as much as 23.1 percent off on a 2014 Ford Focus.
- The Chevrolet Cruze makes this month's list, with clearance-style offers of up to 19 percent off.
- If you're looking for a little premium sedan, the Buick Verano is an excellent deal this month, with discounts of up to 16.2 percent off MSRP.
- Thanks to hefty incentives outside the federal and state ones available, the Nissan Leaf remains a bargain. Incentives can total up to 29.3 percent off MSRP.
- The Ford Focus is also a deal here, but if green cars are of more interest, a 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid gets up to $5,000 in rebates, a figure that's likely maxed out as 2015 models become more widely available.
- If it's truck deals you're shopping, look no further than the Ford Super Duty, which has $1,000 in additional incentives this month, for deals worth up to 17.7 percent off MSRP.
- Among full-size light-duty trucks, the GMC Sierra is on the watch list with deals starting at $4,000 off MSRP.
Vans and minivans
- The Ford Transit Connect wagon carries incentives worth up to 13.7 percent off MSRP this month.
- The Dodge Grand Caravan continues to slouch toward its extinction date, with up to $3,000 off MSRP.
- Toyota continues last month’s rebates on the Sienna minivan in March.
- The Chevrolet Camaro tops this list with up to 12.2 percent off MSRP in available rebates and incentives.
- The BMW 640 carries a massive $4,000 bonus that should clear lots before the 2016 models arrive shortly.
- The 2015 FIAT 500c carries the biggest droptop incentives this month, at deals worth up to 16.6 percent of its sticker price.
- The 2015 BMW 640 and M6 join their coupe counterparts here with rebates of up to $4,000.
*Promotions can change over the course of the month, so be sure to check with your dealer to confirm eligibility.