2014 Kia Optima
Just a few model years ago, the Kia Optima, like its cousin the Hyundai Sonata, had value going for it, but not much more. It offered lots of convenience features and a low price, but it was nondescript and somewhat derivative; competent but unremarkable in most ways; and not by any means at the forefront in performance, fuel economy, safety, or technology.
But the current version, introduced for 2011, then carried over with a few improvements to 2012 and 2013, might as well have been given a new model name (although we agree, the Optima name's a keeper). With style and panache, the Optima covers all the bases, with an available Turbo model, a high-mileage Hybrid in the lineup, and even a luxurious top-of-the-line SX model.
Want to know more about the Optima? You've found one of the best go-to points anywhere for that. You'll want to bookmark this page if you're the type who does car-shopping research obsessively. Simply click here to find the latest full review of the Kia Optima, or here for an entire summary of Kia Optima news.
Of course, you'll want to dig through our in-depth review coverage here at The Car Connection, watch our video road test, and see how the Optima stacks up with the competition:
- 2013 Kia Optima – Full Review
- 2013 Kia Optima Video Road Test
- Hyundai Sonata Vs. Kia Optima: Compare Cars
- 2013 Kia Optima vs. Its Competition
The Kia Optima Hybrid has been surprisingly good for a first hybrid effort from the automaker. From both our site and our companion site, Green Car Reports, here are some driving impressions, as well as talk about its real-world and not-so-real-world gas mileage, plus a round of improvements for 2013:
- 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid: More Space, Improved Gas Mileage
- 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Touts Its World Record Gas Mileage (Video)
- 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid: First Drive Review
- 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid On Economy Drive, 69 MPG So Far...
- 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid To Cost $26,500, Less Than Camry, Fusion Hybrids
- 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show: 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid Details
- Kia Announces 2011 Optima Hybrid Pricing
Note that there was some controversy over the Optima's mileage; but those adjusted numbers are right on track:
- Hyundai, Kia Owners Seek $775 Million Over Fuel Economy Fibs
- EPA Red-Flags Hyundai Elantra, Kia Sorento, 11 Others For Gas Mileage Ratings
Kia chose to upgrade the Optima for 2012 with a new top-of-the-line SX model; meanwhile it decided to assemble the Optima in the U.S.:
- 2012 Kia Optima SX Limited: 2012 Chicago Auto Show
- 2011 Kia Optima Beats Honda Accord In CR Family-Sedan Test
- 2012 Kia Optima To Be Assembled In The U.S.
If you're considering the Optima as a used car, our original coverage of the then-all-new 2011 Optima is a good starting point:
And for a little entertainment, you might want to check out this marketing- and advertising-related Kia Optima news:
- Kia And Blake Griffin Take Dunk Commercial To Next Level
- Blake Griffin Auctioning Dunked-Over 2011 Kia Optima For Charity
- Kia To Give Away Five 2011 Optimas In One Epic Contest Super Bowl Promo
- Kia Launches Optima Hybrid Myth Busters Facebook App
2014 Kia Optima