- Youthful, exuberant styling inside and out
- Rippling, muscular V-8 engines
- A high-tech playground for drivers and passengers
- Feels light-years lighter than other luxury four-doors
- D-pillar styling: do you have anything other than black?
- Back-seat space isn't as spacious as expected; neither's the trunk room
- Dash dances a fine line between glamour and glitz
The 2011 Jaguar XJ severs ties with its past, and rocks a mod new look that suits its dynamic personality.
Scratch those ideas and notions you've been harboring about Jaguar as past its prime. It's only just coming into it. The XK? Fantastic on all fronts. The XF? A stunner, and a true challenger to the E-Class and 5-Series, at long last.
But what about the big, frumpy XJ? Ah, that's the best hook of the story. Jaguar's ditched the XJ's old hoop skirts and semi-Victorian garb for some ultra-chic evening wear, convincingly evoking swinging London and hipster L.A. more than anything you've ever seen wearing its initials.
Frankly, it's long overdue--the XJ felt completely modern when it switched to an aluminum body in 2004--but now it's at long last a stunning, sexy sedan true to the current Jaguar form. And with the sheen of performance layered on by a marvelous 5.0-liter V-8, it's at the very top of any luxury sedan shopper's must-drive list.