Research

2000 Ford Mustang Review

The Car Connection Expert Rating Breakdown?

The Car Connection Expert Review

by Howard Walker

You can put away your Visa card; the car you see here — along with its 299 identical siblings — is sold. They have been since July last year when Ford announced the birth of its latest Mustang road-racer, the 400-bhp Cobra R.

What the lucky few will get is the fastest, most dynamic, and best-handling Mustang ever built. A car capable of smoking its tires all the way from rest to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds, hitting a top speed of 168 mph, pulling over 1g on a skidpan, yet also more than happy to burble down to Wal-Mart as comfortably as your uncle Elmo’s Grand Marquis.

It could also go out and win races, straight out of the box. That's what the R stands for: Racing. Even though 90 percent of the Rs are unlikely to see the start line of a racetrack — they're worth too much as investments — the other 10 percent should do extremely well.

It’s the work of Ford Special Vehicle Engineering, an assortment of dedicated petrolheads, whose mission in life is to 'polish the Ford oval' with an exclusive lineup of well-engineered performance derivatives. SVE develops the cars for Ford's Special Vehicle Team, which looks after the marketing part. SVT's current line-up includes the 320-bhp Mustang Cobra coupe and convertible, and the wild 360-bhp F-150 Lightning pickup. Next up is an SVT-enhanced Focus.

Strakes, bulges, and awesome power

Lift the Cobra's power-bulged hood and you'll see what all the fuss is about. Squeezed tightly in between the suspension turrets, is a heavily breathed-on 5.4-liter, dual overhead cam Ford V-8 topped with an aluminum intake manifold the size of an upturned beer crate.

2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R engine

2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R engine

Enlarge Photo

The Car Connection Consumer Review

Rate and Review your car for The Car Connection! Tell us your own ratings for a vehicle you own. Rate your car on Performance, Safety, Features and more.
Write a Review
Friday, June 24, 2016
2016 Ford Mustang 2-Door Fastback Shelby GT350

Fun to Drive Car plus very Professional Car

  • Overall Rating
  • Interior/Exterior
  • Performance
  • Comfort and Quality
  • Safety
  • Features
  • Fuel Economy / MPG
  • Reliability
The Latest 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 is a fun to drive car with lot more new features installed in it, Specially Bird eye view cam, parking assistance, active cruise control, active launch control system... + More »
people found this helpful.
Was this review helpful? Yes
Sunday, June 5, 2016
2016 Ford Mustang 2-Door Fastback EcoBoost

Great to drive, fantastic technology.

  • Overall Rating
  • Interior/Exterior
  • Performance
  • Comfort and Quality
  • Safety
  • Features
  • Fuel Economy / MPG
  • Reliability
I love all the features, the mustang lights on the ground when you open the doors, etc.. The eco boost engine is plenty powerful. The gear shift is short and precise. My Tripple yellow car gets lots of... + More »
people found this helpful.
Was this review helpful? Yes
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
2016 Ford Mustang 2-Door Fastback Shelby GT350

Love in this car

  • Overall Rating
  • Interior/Exterior
  • Performance
  • Comfort and Quality
  • Safety
  • Features
  • Fuel Economy / MPG
  • Reliability
the best muscle, awesome exterior and interior as well, vast features, performance and the most loving sound.......boom boom
people found this helpful.
Was this review helpful? Yes
See all user reviews »
Looking for other models of the Ford Mustang?
Read reviews & get prices
Compare the 2000 Ford Mustang against the competition
Compare All Cars