2013 Tesla Model SEnlarge Photo
Tesla was in the headlines a lot last year -- not only because of its over-the-top safety rating for the Model S sedan, but also because three of those same vehicles caught fire after their undersides were damaged.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is trying to get to the root of the Model S' problem, but you can bet some folks on NHTSA's team are turning their attention northward to Toronto, Ontario, where another Tesla Model S has burst into flames -- this time, while parked.
According to Business Insider, the incident took place earlier this month. The owner returned from a drive, parked it in the garage, and went inside. A few minutes later, fire alarms in the garage went off, and firemen arrived to put out the blaze, which was described as "intense".
What sparked the fire? No one knows yet. What we do know is that the vehicle was only about four months old, and it wasn't plugged into a charging station at the time the incident occurred.
Could the owner have hit something while driving, causing a fire similar to the three that happened last year? Apparently not. Those fires were linked to the Model S' battery, but in the Toronto fire, the battery was unscathed. In a statement given to Business Insider, Tesla says "In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire."
We'll keep you posted as this investigation unfolds.