Advertisement
Find a Car
Go!

Facebook Auto Fans Have 3 Times As Many Friends

Follow Richard

Facebook logo

Facebook logo

Are you on Facebook? Have you "liked" an auto brand Page? If so, Facebook says that you've probably got a lot more friends than most people on the network.

Between December 2011 and March 2012, Facebook polled 15,938 users, asking them a range of questions about the cars they drive, their future purchase plans, and how likely they'd be to recommend their current vehicle to someone else.  

Here are some of the results:

  • 55% of auto brand Page fans also own a vehicle from that brand. In other words, roughly 55% of the people who've "liked" Ford's Facebook Page own a Ford vehicle. (We imagine the stats would be significantly lower for Pages devoted to exotics. Lamborghini, for example, has 3.2 million fans, but the chances of 1.7 million of those folks owning Lambos seems...slim.)
  • Among auto brand Page fans who also own a car by the brand, 62% expressed some degree of brand loyalty. For people who haven't "liked" their car's brand Page, the figure sits much lower, at 46%.  
  • Of users who have "liked" their car's brand Page, a whopping 82% said they'd recommend that brand to a friend.
  • Users who "like" auto brand Pages have an average of 433 friends, which is over three times as many friends as most Facebook users.

Unfortunately, what the study doesn't tell us -- or at least, what Facebook hasn't told us -- is the percentage of car owners who've "liked" a brand Page at all. If only 10% of car owners are fans of brands on Facebook, that doesn't provide much insight on the remaining 90%. In that case, we'd assume that auto Page fans represent a core of enthusiasts, making the results of the study far less surprising. 

Still, there are some good takeaways from the survey. Here's what we can say with a degree of certainty.

  • Facebook users see the social network as a good place to engage with auto brands.
  • Fans of auto Pages are very enthusiastic about their brands, recommending those brands to friends even when they don't plan to purchase another car from that automaker themselves.
  • As Facebook's user base continues to expand and users become become increasingly more comfortable/interested in following companies there, the network will offer more opportunities for automakers to share their latest products. In other words, we expect to see these stats grow dramatically over time.

Of course, all this talk about Facebook raises a very important question: are you one of our fans? Follow The Car Connection there and on Twitter for all the latest auto news. 

[via Mashable]

Posted in:
Advertisement
 
Follow Us

 

Have an opinion?

  • Posting indicates you have read this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
  • Notify me when there are more comments
 

Have an opinion? Join the conversation!

Advertisement
Try My Showroom
Save cars, write notes, and comparison shop with hi-res photos.
Add your first car
Advertisement
Take Us With You!
   
Advertisement

 
© 2014 The Car Connection. All Rights Reserved. The Car Connection is published by High Gear Media. Stock photography by izmo, Inc. Send us feedback.