What to do in a blizzard – Safety experts recommend several things to do if you’re caught in a blizzard while traveling to or from your holiday destination.
- Pull off the highway and turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights.
- Stay inside your vehicle. Run the heat and the engine for 10 minutes each hour to keep you and other occupants warm.
- Use blankets you brought along and coats for insulation against the cold.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help avoid dehydration.
- If you go outside the vehicle, either to clean off accumulated ice or snow or check on help, watch for signs of hypothermia and frostbite. These include shivering, exhaustion, and loss of feeling in fingers, earlobes, the tip of the nose and toes.
For more tips on safe driving this winter, see the AAA guide on How to Go on Ice and Snow.