Find a Car

Jeep Wrangler Airbag Issue Prompts NHTSA Investigation

2007 Jeep Wrangler X

2007 Jeep Wrangler X

Enlarge Photo

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is following up on 29 consumer complaints relating to airbag issues on 2007 and 2008 model year Jeep Wranglers. Affected by the investigation are:

  • 2007 – 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4x2 two-door models
  • 2007 – 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 two-door models
  • 2007 – 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4x2 four-door models
  • 2007 – 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 four-door models
  • 2007 – 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 two-door, right-hand-drive models

At issue is an illuminated airbag warning light, potentially caused by a defect in the airbag clockspring wiring assembly. In 79 percent of the cases reported, this mechanism was specifically identified by dealers as the source of the airbag light, while the remaining 21 percent of complaints did not diagnose the reason behind airbag light illumination. A broken electrical connection within the airbag wiring assembly could prove dangerous in the event of a crash, as the airbags could potentially not deploy or otherwise not function as designed. 

No accidents or injuries related to this condition have been reported, and Chrysler is cooperating fully with the NHTSA in this investigation. Should a recall of the Jeep Wrangler prove necessary, owners will be contacted by Chrysler corporation via U.S. Mail. In the interim, any problems with your car’s airbag systems should be reported to a dealer immediately.

[NHTSA, via Yahoo News]

Follow Us

Commenting is closed for this article
Try My Showroom
Save cars, write notes, and comparison shop with hi-res photos.
Add your first car
Take Us With You!
Related Used Listings
Browse used listings in your area

© 2015 The Car Connection. All Rights Reserved. The Car Connection is published by High Gear Media. Stock photography by izmo, Inc. Read Our Cookie Policy.