Advertisement
Find a Car
Go!

Study: More Car Buyers Paying With Cash Rather Than Borrowing

Follow Viknesh

It appears the recent economic downturn and spate of fuel price rises has not only changed the types of cars we buy, but also the way we pay for them. The latest study by independent vehicle pricing and information authority Kelley Blue Book has revealed that new car buyers are almost twice as likely to pay for their new purchase with cash as they were just three years ago.

The results are based on the findings of 338 in-market car shoppers surveyed last month on Kelley Blue Book’s website (kbb.com) and show that 74 percent of respondents plan to buy a car within the next six months; 67 percent of them opting for a used car and the remaining 33 percent planning to buy new.

Of these, 42 percent of used car shoppers and 20 percent of new car shoppers said they plan to pay cash for their next vehicle instead of going with a loan. Just three years ago, only 11 percent of new car buyers wanted to pay cash (there is no data for used car buyers).

"In-market car shoppers are taking a decidedly conservative approach to car buying right now, which we think can be directly attributed to low consumer confidence in the current economy," explained Kelley Blue Book market analyst James Bell. "It seems people are re-assessing their financial situations and deciding to spend less, buy used and pay more often with cash. Incentives have loosened their tight grip on the American consumer, with more people deciding to purchase what they can truly afford versus what they can get with over-extended credit lines and incentive offers on the hood from manufacturers."

Other interesting tidbits revealed through the survey include the finding that half of new car buyers are looking to spend a maximum of $25,000 or less, while 62 percent of used car shoppers only want to spend $15,000 or less.

The survey also revealed that 0 percent financing remains the most popular loan incentive and that half of the buyers opting for a loan plan to do so through a bank or credit union.

[Kelley Blue Book]

Posted in:
Advertisement
 
Follow Us

 

Have an opinion?

  • Posting indicates you have read this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
  • Notify me when there are more comments
Comment (1)
  1. That is awesome that there are people who just want to pay with cash. You feel so much better and dont have to pay debt off along with the interest and all of that. I really hope that more people will follow suit instead of getting a big car loan that takes forever to pay off.
     
    Post Reply
    Vote
    Bad stuff?

 

Have an opinion? Join the conversation!

Advertisement
Try My Showroom
Save cars, write notes, and comparison shop with hi-res photos.
Add your first car
Advertisement
Take Us With You!
   
Advertisement

 
© 2014 The Car Connection. All Rights Reserved. The Car Connection is published by High Gear Media. Stock photography by izmo, Inc. Send us feedback.