It's driving season again,and as the weather warms up, Americans will be taking to the roads in large numbers, especially now that airlines are continuing to find more and more ways to charge passengers for the privilege of travel. Here then, is a list of five sedans, crossovers, and wagons that families might find appealing while on the road this season. In no particular order:
1. 2010 Ford Flex: Ford's Flex crossover offers the availability of third-row seating in a stylish package. It also has features like an available second-row refrigerator and Ford's SYNC multimedia suite. Available with all-wheel drive or front-wheel drive, and a choice of 3.5-liter engines, the Flex could serve as a good choice for the family that needs a lot of passenger and cargo space.
2. 2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon: This is for the more well-heeled families, especially if they prefer to make the trip quickly. Cargo space and towing capacity aren't important here, and even the rear seat space may be a bit cramped. But for riding in style, this could be the car of choice.
3. 2011 Hyundai Sonata: Families looking for a traditional mid-sizer might be well-served by the new Sonata, which offers a lot of features for the cash to go along with a sportier feel than some of its competitors. It also has sleek exterior styling that is not usually found in this class.
4. 2010 Chevrolet Traverse: This large crossover offers a lot of things that a traditional SUV does--such as all-wheel drive and lots of space for cargo and passengers. But it promises a more car-like ride and better fuel economy in a package that is styled more conventionally than the Flex. This may be the choice for the traditionalist.
5. 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid: Maybe the 2010 Toyota Prius gets better mileage and offers a hatchback, but the combination of Toyota's recall issues and the Fusion Hybrid's sporty handling dynamics earn it the nod for the "green" car of the bunch. Refreshed for 2010, the Fusion Hybrid is a good choice for those families who want to go a little further on a tank of gas.