The ZOE Z.E. concept car stems from a curious collaboration between French automaker Renault and luxury skincare company Biotherm (a division of L'Oreal). The ZOE Z.E. offers the usual complement of EV conceptual goodness -- it's battery-powered, boasts zero-emissions, is quickly rechargeable, and makes use of solar power -- but it also has a handful of spa-like amenities, including a hydrating a/c system.
Our fave feature, however, would have to be the car's aromatherapeutic element: "An electric system diffuses essential oils, exclusive active substances adapted to the needs of the driver: dynamic in the morning, relaxing coming home from work, and awakening vigilance while driving at night." If there's a"McDonald's French fry" fragrance option -- and you know there is because, hello, it's French -- we're totally onboard.
For a full view of the Gallic goofiness, check the press release below, s'il vous plait.
* * * * *
RENAULT AND BIOTHERM PRESENT ZOE Z.E.
THE FIRST 100% ELECTRIC “SPA” CONCEPT CAR
Biotherm, the skin care company in L’Oréal’s Luxury Products division, has joined forces with Renault to develop an all-new 100% electric “spa” concept car, ZOE Z.E.
Aimed at people making daily local trips and looking for a car that brings them health and wellbeing, ZOE Z.E. concept, with its premium and fully personalizable cabin, is a preview of the Renault production vehicle set for launch in 2012.
ZOE Z.E., ZERO EMISSIONS AND MAXIMUM PEACE OF MIND
ZOE Z.E., a 100% electric, zero-emission city car, is for men and women who want to take care of the environment while taking care of themselves – even behind the wheel.
The roof has been designed as an intelligent protective membrane that insulates against heat and cold, optimizes climate control, and recovers energy using honeycomb photovoltaic cells. The car features a shield of polyurethane gel at the front and the back, acting as a second skin that protects vulnerable parts of the body in the event of mild urban impact.
ZOE Z.E. boasts the finest in air filtration and purification technology to fully protect the health of passengers and keep their skin young-looking.
Drivers can “fill up” in one of three ways:
- Standard charge: in 4 to 8 hours, using a recharge socket outside the car
- Fast charge: in 20 minutes, using the same socket at special charge stations
- The exclusive “Quickdrop" system, or rapid battery exchange: in 3 minutes at exchange stations
LEADING-EDGE SCIENTIFIC PARTNERSHIP
Biotherm research teams and Renault engineers and designers have combined their expertise in a co-innovation partnership.
Since the brand was created in 1952, Biotherm research laboratories have developed in-depth knowledge on the cellular mechanisms of the skin, together with proven scientific know-how in the virtues of aromatherapy.
For more than 110 years, Renault has developed recognized expertise in the design and approval of equipment for comfort and well-being.
Thus, ZOE Z.E. presents all-new benefits for its occupants:
1. Hydrated skin: The air conditioning system, generally optimized to respect temperature settings, has been entirely redesigned to keep passengers’ skin hydrated. Occupants benefit from intelligent climate control that keeps the air in the cabin from drying out.
2. Pollution protection system: Thanks to a toxicity sensor and cabin-mounted particulate filters that close air vents if required, ZOE Z.E. passengers travel in a clean atmosphere.