2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZEnlarge Photo
After years of corporate arrogance and blindness toward vehicle pricing, General Motors is finally getting religion on this topic. There seems to be a trend here when you put this Chevrolet announcement together with last week's announcement from Cadillac about the sub-Lexus RX350 pricing of the 2010 SRX
Ed Peper, GM North American Vice President recently announced that the new 2010 Chevrolet Equinox will carry a MSRP of $23,185, including a $745 destination charge, for the FWD LS model.
The new Equinox goes on sale this June. Peper said, "In fact, the starting price for this all-new model is $1,800 less than the previous generation Equinox." Chevrolet added content to the new Equinox, so even though it carries a smaller price than its predecessor, the list of standard content is longer - including more airbags, power lumbar support, and 17" wheels.
TheCarConnection.com is scheduled to drive the new Chevy next week, so more information is coming. But until then, we can tell you that GM expects its Equinox to have best-in-class fuel economy at 30 MPG using a version of the Ecotec 4-cylinder fitted with fuel-saving direct fuel injection.
There will be three trip levels; LS, LT and LTZ trim, with available all-wheel-drive. Highlights include:
- New 2.4L Ecotec direct injected I-4 engine estimated at 182 horsepower, which delivers an estimated 30 mpg highway, 21 mpg city (EPA certification pending)
- New 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine estimated at 264 horsepower (the same engine as in the base Cadillac SRX), which delivers an estimated 25 mpg highway, 18 mpg city (EPA certification pending)
- Driving range of more than 500 miles with both engines
- Six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags; head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags
- Standard four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control
- Standard OnStar and XM Satellite Radio
- "Advanced" remote starting system that also activates the HVAC system and optional heated seats depending on the outside temperature
- Standard interior features include tilt and telescoping steering wheel, driver seat power height adjustment and power lumbar
As soon as we get out from behind the wheel of the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, we'll get you a full report. At least now you know how much one will cost.