I remember not long ago, an insurance company from Traverse City, Mich. that specializes in the insurance of collectible cars, sent out thousands of e-mails to auto collectors, restorers and enthusiasts, inviting them to take part in this unusual survey, one whose result took me by surprise. It was about the most popular TV or movie car.
I’m almost certain they ended up collecting about 9,700 responses and the world of TV and Movie famous cars would never be the same, for I thought ‘without a doubt’ Magnum, P.I.’s 308 GTS would be the first, if not second – but I was so wrong. Here is the top 10 list:
1) Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee – 1969 Dodge Charger
2) Steve McQueen’s Bullitt – 1968 Mustang
3) Gone in 60 Seconds' Eleanor - 1967 Shelby GT500
4) Back to the Future's flux capacitor vehicle - 1983 DeLorean
5) Batman's Batmobile – an experimental Ford Custom Caravan based on the 1955 Lincoln Futura Concept car
6) James Bond’s Goldfinger car - Aston Martin DB5
7) Burt Reynolds’ Smokey & The Bandit - 1977 Pontiac Firebird T/A
8) Disney’s Herbie the Love Bug - 1963 Volkswagen
9) Starsky & Hutch's - 1974 Ford Torino
10) The Green Hornet's Black Beauty – 1966 Chrysler Imperial
Hey guys… wait just a minute! Where is KITT - The ’82 Trans Am w/T-tops from the Knight Rider? or the Volvo P1800 from The Saint? or the Flintmobile, or Herman Munster’s spooky contraption? And how about the 1955 Buick driven by Chief Dan Mathews of “Highway Patrol”?
Could it be that I’m getting as old as Paul… you know… the “old as dirt” Paul, and I just don’t want to let go?
Get daily e-mail updates
Fresh, trusted car news and reviews delivered to your inbox every day.
People Who Read This Article Also Read